This adaptive reuse of a 1920’s building in Huntington’s Historic Downtown District converted the structure into a multi-tenant building of approximately 29,000 SF. The project involved three different scopes of work, with the first being exterior restoration of the building envelope, removing Urban Renewal-era plaster panels from the façade of the building, revealing existing windows in the upper two stories and an arched window element over the front entry.
A core and shell package was developed to enable a future street level tenant space and a new ground floor entry lobby for tenants on upper levels to use, including a new elevator. The interior was renovated to house a law firm. The corner site affords open and airy interiors in the original building, with large windows and high ceilings. Daylight to interior open support space is drawn from borrowed lights in office walls. New high efficiency HVAC, plumbing and lighting systems were integrated into the spaces to completely modernize the 92 year old building.
The project was completed in 2010. Funding for the project was aided by the use of Historic Tax Credits and was completed within The Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties with Guidelines for Preserving, Rehabilitating, Restoring and Reconstructing Historic Buildings.