In our search for space in which to relocate our growing architectural practice, we discovered a vacant, Mid-Century Modern structure in a central location. Constructed in 1955, the masonry and steel structure was structurally sound but lacking in energy-efficient features. The design focused on insulation of the building envelope and highly efficient system design. Thanks to the building’s corner site and long, relatively narrow footprint, interior spaces are filled with daylight. Exterior sunshades were added to the second floor windows, along with interior light shelves, to help control sunlight and glare.
Exposed structure and systems contribute to the sense of openness and texture within the main studio space. The project represents our commitment to our profession, the city in which we practice and the practice of sustainable design. We occupied the building in 2014 and are pursuing LEED Gold certification for the project.